Saturday, February 11, 2006

Do I know you?

I consider it a challenge to remember someones' name these days, we come across lots of people, each mention their first and last name with enthusiasm. I only mention mine if they asked or gave the "and you are?" expression. But trouble falls when they say suprised: "Don't you remember me?". At that point I would say something like: "I don't really remember names, but I usually remember the faces." Then I ask that person questions to link the face to the historical phase of which he/she has been connected with in my life. Eventually I do remember the person. But of course in most cases I wouldnt remember much details of who that person really is.

Almost a month back Something weird though could be logically understood in a way happened to me.

-This is a good time to grap a cup of tea/coffee-

On 1/1/2006, I got an sms from a random number, It was an invitation to a Milka*. It was from the groom, he mentioned his name -example Yusif- and said that he would be happy to see me at his milka! I was like "who is this guy!?" I couldnt remember him at all, but then i remembered oh! Yusif he must be that guy back from college, yes yes; it must be him! I saw him a year or 2 back and he did take my number. Oh! Mashallah he is getting married, wonderful. I must attend, inshallah!

Days went by, the big day came... I was there by prayer time -The milka is after the prayer-, everyone started to find a place to sit. I looked around hoping to see at least one of the other colleagues, but none so far. Then suddenly I saw this dude sitting near by; he looked familiar, oh! Yes he is my brothers friend! The place beside him was vacant so i moved ahead and sat beside him. I greeted him and he actually remembered me -Me as the brother of his friend-, then I asked him how does he know Yusif?? He said that they studied together. I was smiling, but then I stopped. Now Yusif was studying with me? How could be be studying with him?? Especially that Yusif is my age not elder! I asked him more and told him about my doubts. But he really knew who he was talking about. Then it stroke me! Perhaps this Yusif isnt who i think it is!

*A dramatic moment of silence*

Ok! So now I am in doubt! Who is this Yusif? I asked the dude more about Yusif and everything he told me didnt match who I thought he was. I thought, perhaps the dude continue his studies with this guy and did all the things this guy is saying. Let me wait and see.

Waiting and waiting, finally the groom arrived. He enters. Now seriously who on earth is this guy! He wasnt the Yusif I knew! But wait a minute. He looks familiar!! Yusif sat in his place I kept trying to remember where I remember that face from, then it clicked, Maybe he is that dude back from school! Now wasnt he my brothers' friend! He used to be in the same bus as ours, that is how I can remember, especially that he had a famous nickname as well.

I was totally puzzled, still not sure though if he was or wasnt my brothers' friend. The Imam started the milka and everything went smoothly. But my mind was going on and on of why I got that sms! Perhaps it was meant to be sent to my brother and the dude found the wrong number!? Either way, I am out of here. They started distributing the 7alwa* and Qahwa*, I felt it was just wrong to eat/drink when I am obviously wrongly invited. Besides my legs were getting really numb. I told the dude beside me, I am out of here. He tried to ask me to stay and saying it would be nice to share Yusifs' happiness. I told him something like "I am truely happy for him, but staying here just feels wrong now that I know i wasnt invited!".

The awkward part now is how to leave, I never saw anyone leave from a Milka before! But then I thought I really don't know anyone here, so who cares! And stood and just walked away, laughing at myself inside...

Just to add, once I got back home, I asked my brother about the guy and he confirmed that he does know him! So now it all makes sense, the wrong sms to the wrong guy... a familiar face with a familiar name... but in the end had nothing to do with me.

---------------------

Milka: The ceremony, which takes place usually in the mosque -as in this case- all men attendies and it conducts the islamic marriage bond.

7alwa: The Omani 7alwa is some type of sweet dish, that is served for different occasions.

Qahwa: Coffee, -in this case- the Omani coffee.

11 comments:

NiGhTFaCe said...

Talking about remembering names & faces, the exact works here. I hardly remember the names, where I can remember that person by his face.

I remember one of the guys was asking about this guy from college, he mentioned his name, I told him, hey! dont mention names, I can know people by their faces.


For that moment, I am not with your decision of leaving.

Tia said...

I think i would've done the same if it was me, I mean leaving... no wait i think i would've ignored the sms.

Nice story

TripleTee said...

rofl !!...nice atgm, it's true that you're not the only one, I have a photographic memory myself... however nothing close to this incident ever happened to me for the simple reason that I either ignore till the person calls or ask after him/her before attending IF I thought of attending in the first place, which I often don't.
I can't believe u actually attended a milka of someone you weren't sure of... get ur facts together man!... don't do it based on what you assumed it to be... the consequence really cracked me up...good one though, lol... you've the skills of an author...really enjoyed it! :p

Hamood said...

NF: I know, I know. I should of stayed either way. But I did stay for the milka itself. I only skipped the food.

Tia: I couldn't ignoring the sms, since I thought it was from a friend I knew long back. As in it wasn't a random person. Nice story indeed :p

taboo: Sending the card is reasonable for those you know personally and know people who know where they live etc... but those as in my case long ago friend. An sms is more then enough. It gives you no official oblegation, you are simply informed.

tripletee: I think it is hard to compare between the male and female marriage events, as in the guys case it is much easier to just go to the milka without looking fancy. But in the girls part, it will mean a lot of things from make up to cloths and lots more. So the difference here does affect on how you decide with these things, weither to go or not.

I went and I was quite sure it was my friend! I only started getting doubts once I arrived there. :P

Glad you enjoyed the tale...

Luisa said...

i can't recognise voices at the telephone
daz my tragedy

Namika said...

did anyone got the chance to take a video of the milka :D I would have loved to see your confused face :p

well it happens a lot, I remember faces but I fail to remember names. But the good thing is, most of those I don't remember their names they don't remember me as well :D

Hamood said...

PizzaQueen: When it is about people with similiar voices I can understand, but different ones? hmm it could be considered a tragedy as you say :P

Namika: No there were no video man. But either way, I wasn't panicing alhamdullah as I was only confused on my mind.

Yes! Those are the best, the people who you remember and they remember you but both dont remember the name.

Najah said...

But i think your story suggest that you have good memory, or am i lose in understanding. it was a miss understanding...

but thats a funnny story indeeeeed :p

Hamood said...

najah: I guess it could be interpreted in different ways, cause as you said it was a simple misunderstanding. :p

sensation said...

looooooooooooooooooooooool!!! :D rofl
What a story, man! You told the story very well! I cracked up when I reached the moment of silence of yours! :p

Well, usually I sit and wait for the 7alwa, I would pass. As you said it's so awkward to leave in the middle of a milka! lool! :p

Hamood said...

sensation: I simply described my thoughts and how it went from back then...

It was awkward and I love 7alwa, but when you need to run, just run...